Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Top 5 Tuesday: A New Tradition

Joel started his Film Vault Fridays which I absolutely loved. He critiqued movies and directed us to certain points in the movie to pay close attention. Since he hasn't blogged in a while, so I'm starting my own recurring theme.

In honor of one of my heroes of the literary /cinematic worlds and oh so oft referenced here,
Rob Gordon, I am beginning Top 5 Tuesdays.

So each Tuesday, I'll take a topic and do a Top 5 list a la
High Fidelity and run with it. For those of you who still read my drivel, please feel free to post your own Top 5 on your blogs or comment on mine.

The Inaguraul Edition will start off on somewhat of a down note but it will get better each week, I promise:

Top 5 Songs To Be Played At My Funeral

5. "The Cowboy Rides Away" - George Strait : Having grown up out in the hinterlands of civilized society, I still pine for mountain vistas, blue skies, the smell of dust and sage in the air, and those wide open spaces (yes, I do see the connection between this song and the Dixie Chicks song; believe it or not, there are a few ... a very few, country artists I can stomach). Anyways, this is one of those great songs that make me miss Eastern New Mexico and the Texas Panhandle.

4. "Many Rivers To Cross" - Jimmy Cliff : One of the quintessential great reggae tunes of our time. Jimmy seems to penetrate my soul with lyrics like this:

Many rivers to cross
And it's only my will that keeps me alive
I've been licked, washed up for years
And I merely survive because of my pride

Preach on brother Jimmy, preach on. This song hits you where it's supposed to hit ya' and I'm grateful for it. And yes .... I stole this idea from High Fidelity but I do love the song.

3. "Finnegan's Wake" - the Dubliners : My fascination with the Irish culture will continue after my death. I have informed my family and in my will that I want a wake in the style of the Emerald Isle. In other words, I want my friends, family, acquaintances, enemies, one-night stands, etc. together to hit a bar and celebrate my life with the sort of drunken debauchery that someone with a life as dull as mine could merit. It probably will be a Coors Light kinda night but at least this song is hilarious. The first time someone spills booze, they'll fully expect to arise from the dead to admonish the offender!

2. "My Way" - Sid Vicious
: Few tunes could sum up a life that burned bright and quickly to end with a huge bang. But Sid's lack of vocal styling make this song sound as if I led this crazy, rebellious life boozing and partying … well, I sorta did in undergrad. Yeah ... that's the ticket. I did do things my way and damnit, it's paid off ... somewhat. So yeah, I did do it my way!

1. "Arizona State Fight Song" : Yeah, it's kinda cheesy, but when Gerald Ford died recently and the Michigan fight song was played at his funeral, it just struck a chord with me. After all, many of you know me as Cincysundevil so it's only fitting. Besides, when I'm buried in my sweet maroon & gold coffin emblazoned with
Sparky, this will be the icing on the cake .. or the first handful of dirt on me .. or whatever. You know what I mean.

There are some songs that almost made the list like "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie, "Happy Trails" by Van Halen, or "Danke Schoen" by Wayne Newton. But I've got my 5. Any thoughts? Comments? Are you prepared to meet your maker with your 5 in hand???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In no particular order...

In The Deep - Bird York

The Last Goodbye - Rik Emmett (instrumental)

Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi

River - Holly Cole's version

Take Me With You - Elizabeth Fraser

Cincysundevil said...

Great list! I think I'm going to have to search these songs out. P.S. I love listening to new music!

Lindsay said...

This is something I'd really have to think about...

I am loving this Top 5 Tuesday idea

Cincysundevil said...

Lindsay-
Glad you like the idea and I'll look forward to your lists.