Sunday, January 28, 2007

Beautifully Sad Fairy Tale

Last night, I was supposed to go to one of these ultra-hip places to "be seen" in Atlanta. It's one of those martini bars where you pay like $15 to get in with overpriced and watered down drinks. The sort of bar where if you ask for Grey Goose vodka, the bartender looks at you like you ordered at pork rinds at while dining at the Waldorf. Naturally, you're supposed to order the vodka that is made by blind Russian monks in bathtubs using potatoes grown in imported soil that only like 3 people have ever heard of at $400 a bottle.

But last night was one of those "blah" nights where no one wanted to go out. So I decided to not let the night be a complete waste. I went to catch a movie and I'm glad I did.

I finally saw "Pan's Labyrinth". Let me tell you, this movie is beautiful, scary, and sad all at the same time. This ain't your kid's fairy tales. I won't give away too much because no one wants to read what happens but you will figure out what is going on in the movie after a bit.

But that didn't stop the audience from being hushed the entire movie. I'm serious; during the last 40 minutes of movie, there wasn't a peep from the audience. No errant cell phones. No couples talking. Only dead silence and a few people wiping away silent tears. It's not often that a movie gets the whole crowd to shut up. Hell, that alone was worth the price of admission. But, it is a great movie and I highly, highly recommend it.

No comments: