Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Southerners Are Funny

I don't fancy myself one of those hardy Midwesterners. I lived in Ohio for 5 years and that was enough for me. I don't play euchre on weekends; I'm not completely enthralled with the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry; I don't like NASCAR; I don't think Kid Rock is an actual artist; and I loathe Toby Keith.

But living in the South has taught me one thing: Midwesterners are a hardy bunch.


Example: this "storm" we're supposed to get tonight. People all over Atlanta are in a panic. We "might" have some rain which "might" turn into sleet or an ice storm. I say might because we would be on the very southern, southern, southernmost tip of this front.


But don't tell people in Atlanta that. They're in full panic mode. People are hitting Kroger and Wal-Mart to stock up on batteries, bread, milk, and so on. People were taking work home in case we can't get in to work in the morning.


Me? I don't think we'll get anything at all. The last 3 times we were supposed to get hit we got a great big goose egg. We "might" get rain ... but it'll be fine.


The funny part? Anyone who has lived in the Midwest or in the Northeast is treating this like any other day. Those folks were talking about what they were going to bring in for lunch tomorrow while true Southerners were lacing up winter boots, mittens, scarves, and parkas.

Aaaahh, these Southerners make me feel like a hardy Midwesterner.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

I so love playing both sides of the coin. New Englanders just don't understand ice storms and when they move down south, the STORM OF THE CENTURY does not mean run out and grab all the milk in the supermarket.

Southerners are so silly. Don't they know what cold really is? Come on buy a plow. Some sand and salt at least. Cars with traction control?

Cincysundevil said...

Chelle-
What's even funnier is that the City of Atlanta owned like 4 salt trucks ... which they sold off!! They now just convert dump trucks to throw down sand and gravel.