Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Old Pictures And The Old Man On The Lawn

So I'm at work, looking at some old pictures in my cubicle. Pictures of friends from my cavalier days as a law student. The pictures remind me of those good ole' days and the fact that we all have to move on. I, for one, think I have a hard time letting go of the past escapades and still somehow remotely hope the days will return as they once were. But the fact is, my friends and I have to move on and we have. I'm feelin' sorta introspective today as I examine why is it that I feel like I'm stuck in a rut in my life right now. I'm not sure how many other people have felt like this, like you can't go forward, you just keep lookin' back at yesterday. I want desperately to look forward to something beyond the next job promotion or the next concert, something more substantive.

I guess this is the part of moving on in life that sucks ass. You've got to leave behind those great days of carefree youth and get real (as Dr. Phil would say!). I've got to do something, I know that I can't keep living my life this way. I have to just set roots somewhere and let them take instead of uprooting every 2 or 3 years when I sense a change is needed. I don't think where I am now is that place, but I seriously could see myself settling in Europe someplace permanently. I'm getting way too old to keep up this life. I'm still single and 1/2way through my 30's. My old roommates from law school always joked that I'd become that cranky old man with a waterhose shooing kids off of his lawn! They might not be far off at this rate .... LOL ... If I couldn't laugh at myself, I'd go crazy!! So next time you seen an old man on his lawn, with his black socks and sandals, you can think about me!

No comments: